Get Your Belly Out

Thanks Sara for posting about #GetYourBellyOut yesterday!  #GetYourBellyOut is a campaign currently spreading like wildfire on Twitter and Instagram.  It all started by one girl who is in the UK posting her picture and asking others to do the same and/or donate money to help find a cure for IBD.  This one single hashtag has taken over both of the above mentioned social networking platforms and is no longer limited to the UK.  By posting about and showing us (even more) of her belly pictures, the one and only Sara from Inflamed and Untamed has helped to give me the confidence to do the same.

When I went into surgery, my big concern was what my scar would look like.  We had hoped for a completely laparoscopic procedure, but knew that the chances of that happening were pretty slim.  I work for a dermatologist, spend a lot of time talking about skin care and promoting ways to maintain beautiful skin, and wasn’t ready to come to terms with the vertical scar that I was about to leave the hospital with.  As far as abdominal surgery scars go, I’m pretty fortunate.  The scar from my bowel resection only goes about an inch and a half above and below my belly button.  And do you know what?  I plan to rock that scar AND my bikini this summer!

Rather than seeing my scars, bumps, and bruises as a flaw, I’m choosing to see them as a reminder of what my body has overcome!

My very swollen belly 1 week post-op. That bruising hurt my surgeon's ego way more than it did my stomach!

My belly 1 week post-op. That bruising hurt my surgeon’s ego way more than it did my stomach!

Week 2, and that glue was getting a little gross. It was time for it to go!

Week 2, and that glue was getting a little gross. It was time for it to go!

Week 3 and I was on my way to a healed surgical site. Funny story, we actually thought that they cut through my belly button piercing. However, if you look close enough, you can see that it is still there!

Week 3 and I was on my way to a healed surgical site. Funny story, we actually thought that they cut through my belly button piercing. If you look close enough, you can see that it is still there!

mybelly

My belly now! The surgery, pain, and recovery time were totally worth it in the long run!

While I chose to post about #GetYourBellyOut to help myself and others break free from our scars, I would love for our efforts to raise money for the Crohn’s & Colitis Founation here in the US!  Most of us have an extra dollar or two that we can spare.  If you can find it in your heart to do so, please visit my CCFA Take Steps page to donate to Crohn’s & Colitis research!

What has your body overcome?  Do you have scars to share?  I would love to see your pictures and hear your story no matter what it is you’re fighting against!

8 Comments

8 Comments on Get Your Belly Out

1. Sahara
    March 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm (4 years ago)

Sara initially didn’t want to get involved and actually dismissed the idea in a group discussion ‘The IBD roundtable’
    When she shared her pics again she actually shared pictures that she had already shared before, stating that she felt she had done enough but good luck to all those taking part

• Mallory
      March 30, 2014 at 6:24 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for commenting, Sahara! I appreciate your bravery and initiative to start such a campaign! I actually missed the roundtable, but as a follower of Sara’s blog… her transparency and honesty has really helped me to step up and find my voice. I’ve found you on twitter, are you currently writing somewhere? If so, I’d love to be reading it!

• Sahara
        March 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm (4 years ago)

I’m not right now but intend to start 🙂 I didn’t realise how much awareness could be raised via blogging but fully intend to continue my awareness crusade that way! Or in any ways possible for that matter lol

• Mallory
          March 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm (4 years ago)

I wasn’t quite sure how effective it could be either. Until I jumped right in. I was quite nervous, but what I’ve found is that being transparent online has opened so many doors for me and for others both locally and even across the world. I’ve even had the opportunity to make new friends with IBD right here in little Fort Wayne, IN just by sharing my life online. Do let me know when you start writing!

2. Alex
    March 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm (4 years ago)

Such an awesome campaign! A friend of mine with Crohns has the most epic Phoenix tattoo on her belly on top of her scar.

• Mallory
      March 31, 2014 at 7:45 am (4 years ago)

That’s so cool! I would love to see that! However, I bet it hurt quite a bit!

3. Victoria Marie
    March 31, 2014 at 10:54 am (4 years ago)

Sara brings great awareness for the Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis community, I know a lot of people find comfort/ inspiration from her wonderful IBD advocacy!!
    So too does Sahara who worked incredibly hard to get the #GetYourBellyOut awareness campaign up and running. She is a wonderful asset to the IBD community also.
    As are you in sharing your photos and experiences with the world with regards to your journey with IBD.
    Hopefully TOGETHER we will stamp out the stigma and judgement some place upon these illnesses as we all strive towards the same goal wich will one day be a long over due cure Xx

• Mallory
      March 31, 2014 at 12:09 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for visiting, Victoria! I made sure to subscribe to your blog this morning, and hope that we see some blogging from Sahara in the future… maybe if we keep pushing her, she will do just that! I so agree, the more we work together the more we can do to defeat the stigma and give confidence to fellow IBDers!

I’m so glad that I heard about #GetYourBellyOut. I had originally intended to post progress pictures after my surgery this past fall, but never really did. The initiative you ladies took gave me the confidence to show the world just what I went through and look like now!

%d bloggers like this: